As seen in 1 Corinthians 12 & 14, each one of YAHUSHUA’S BRIDE and GUESTS make up HIS BODY and each have a role to play while on earth during their WALK OF FAITH IN YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH (JESUS CHRIST / YESHUA)! Their roles are given by RUACH HA KODESH. RUACH HA KODESH anoints (commissions and empowers) us to fulfill YAH’S calling in our lives. YAHUSHUA’S Apostles were ANOINTED BY RUACH HA KODESH to do what they did for YAH’S KINGDOM!
The Hebrew word for the word “ANOINTING” is “MASHACH”. Why Hebrew? Because it is the ORIGINAL LANGUAGE OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES plus LANGUAGE OF CREATION!
The application of oil was associated with times of rejoicing and celebration. It also possessed a deeper significance, including that of being singled out by God for special favour or responsibilities.
Anointing as a social custom:
- In personal grooming Ecc 9:8 The associations here are of joy and well-being. See also Ru 3:3; Ps 92:10; Isa 57:9; Am 6:6; Mt 6:17
- Anointing guests as a mark of honour Ps 23:5 See also Lk 7:36-39,44-47; Jn 12:3
- Anointing corpses as a burial preparation Mk 16:1 See also Mt 26:6-12; Jn 19:38-40
- Anointing religious objects
Ex 40:9-11 Anointed objects are set apart (consecrated), to be used only in the performance of religious ceremonies. See also Ge 28:18; Ex 30:22-33
- Anointing people for office
Priests Ex 40:12-15 See also Lev 4:16; Lev 21:10-12; 1Ch 29:22
Kings 1Ki 1:39 See also 1Sa 10:1; 1Sa 16:12-13; 2Sa 5:3; 2Ki 11:12
A prophet 1Ki 19:15-16 the only reference to the anointing of a prophet
- Anointing people for other purposes
For purification Lev 14:15-18
For healing Mk 6:13 It has been suggested that anointing in a healing context may be related to the use of oil for medicinal purposes. See also Jas 5:14
The figurative use of anointing:
- Anointing by YAH (God) 1Sa 26:9 Israel’s king is frequently referred to as “the Lord’s anointed”. His physical anointing is seen as symbolising a divine anointing. The word “Messiah” literally means “the anointed one”; Isa 45:1 Cyrus, as God’s agent for a specific task, is referred to as “his anointed”. See also 2Sa 23:1; Ps 2:2; Ps 45:2; Ps 89:20; Eze 28:14
- Believers in and Followers of YAHUSHUA HA MASHAICH 2Co 1:21-22 See also 1Jn 2:20,27 This anointing is not received in an outward ceremony but by sharing in the HOLY SPIRIT’S anointing of YAHUSHUA (JESUS CHRIST/YESHUA).
- YAHUSHUA as YAH’S (GOD’S) Anointed One (the Messiah/MessiYAH)
Ac 4:26-27 YAHUSHUA (JESUS CHRIST’S) receiving of the HOLY SPIRIT at his BAPTISM was his “anointing” for his Messianic work; Ac 10:38 Note the link between anointing and the HOLY SPIRIT. See also Da 9:25-26; Lk 4:18; Isa 61:1; Heb 1:9
ANOINT” means to SET SOMEONE APART, to AUTHORISE and EQUIP him or her for a task of SPIRITUAL IMPORTANCE.
YAHUSHUA (JESUS /YESHUA) is set apart by the work of RUACH HA KODESH (HOLY SPIRIT) for HIS MINISTRY of
- HEALING and
RUACH HA KODESH (HOLY SPIRIT) sets YAH’S People apart for their MINISTRY in YAHUSHUA’S name!
YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH anointed by RUACH HA KODESH:
- The Messiah’s (MessiYAH’s) ANOINTING is predicted Isa 61:1-3 “Messiah/MessiYAH” means “anointed one”.
- RUACH HA KODESH anoints YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH at the start of HIS ministry Mt 3:16 pp Mk 1:10 pp Lk 3:22 pp Jn 1:32 Ac 10:38
- YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH declares HIS anointing Lk 4:18-21 See also Isa 61:1-2
- The first Messianic/MessiaYAHnic Jews (Believers in and Followers of YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH) declare YAHUSHUA’S anointing Ac 4:26-27
- Evidence pointing to RUACH’S anointing in YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH’S ministry See also Mt 4:23-25; Mt 7:28-29; Mt 12:28; Lk 4:14-15; Lk 5:17; Lk 6:19; Lk 7:14-15
- Believers anointed by RUACH HA KODESH
- RUACH HA KODESH anoints YAH’S chosen people 2Sa 23:1-2 Samuel
- Anointing enables Believers in and Followers of YAHUSHUA HA MASHIACH to stand firm 2Co 1:21-22
Note that Satan also anoints. Satan always COUNTERFEITS YAH’S CREATION! We need to beware because Satan is in this world to steal, kill and destroy as seen in John 10:10 and 1 Peter 5:7-8. Satan has his evil anointing that he gives to his agents. We therefore need to exercise discernment always!