TORAH PORTION READING 20 / WEEK 20:
Tetzaveh/You shall command — תצוה
Exodus 27:20 – 30:10
- HAF-TORAH (either PROPHETS or WRITINGS) – PROPHETS:
- BRIT CHADASHAH (NEW COVENANT / NEW TESTAMENT) – GOSPEL:
Tetzaveh is the twentieth reading from the Torah. Tetzaveh (תצוה) means “You shall command,” as in the first verse of the reading, which says, “You shall [command] the sons of Israel, that they bring you clear oil of beaten olives for the light, to make a lamp burn continually” (Exodus 27:20).
This Torah portion continues to narrate the instructions for the construction of the Tabernacle, focusing particularly on the priesthood that was to serve in that sanctuary. The Israelites are commanded to make special garments for Aaron and his sons to wear while ministering as priests.
After describing the priestly garments, the portion concludes with instructions for the ritual inauguration of Aaron and his sons into the priesthood.
- Exodus 27:20 | The Oil for the Lamp
- Exodus 28:1 | Vestments for the Priesthood
- Exodus 28:6 | The Ephod
- Exodus 28:15 | The Breastplate
- Exodus 28:31 | Other Priestly Vestments
- Exodus 29:1 | The Ordination of the Priests
- Exodus 29:38 | The Daily Offerings
- Exodus 30:1 | The Altar of Incense
- Eze 43:13 | The Altar