More information to be added…
Objects, actions or creatures that have a deeper significance and are to be understood by those who see them or use them.
YAHUVEH GOD has included so many intricate details in HIS WORD, Why are they there? Do they mean something? If so, what is the meaning?
What is the definition of the word “SYMBOL”?
The Hebrew Alphabet is full of SYMBOLS that have deep meanings as seen in the image below:
According to Wikipedia, the word SYMBOL in the Hebrew Language is: “CHAI”.
The word is made up of two letters of the Hebrew alphabet – Chet (ח) and Yod (י), forming the word“chai”, meaning “alive”, or “living”. The most common spelling in Latin script is “Chai”, but the word is occasionally also spelled “Hai”.
There have been various mystical numerological speculations about the fact that, according to the system of gematria, the letters of chai add up to 18 (see “Lamedvavniks” etc.). For this reason, 18 is a spiritual number in Judaism, and many Jews give gifts of money in multiples of 18 as a result.
Jews often give gifts and donations in multiples of 18, which is called “giving chai”. Mailings from Jewish charities usually suggest the amounts to give in multiples of chai (18, 36, 54, dollars, etc.) rather than the usual multiples of 25.
It appears in the slogan “ʿam yisraʾel ḥay!” (עַם יִשְרָאֵל חַי, “The people of Israel lives!”).
There is BIBLICAL SIGNIFICANCE/IMPLICATIONS of the following..
Please click on the sub-menus under this page tab and you will see the various pages with explanations of the above.
- The rainbow: a symbol of God’s covenant See also Ge 9:13; Eze 1:28; Rev 4:3
- A stairway: a symbol of the way to God Ge 28:11-13; Jn 1:51
- Thunder, lightning, cloud and smoke: symbols of God’s majesty Ex 19:16-18; Ex 24:17; Ps 97:2,4; Rev 4:5; Rev 8:5; Rev 11:19
- Thunder: a symbol of God’s voice Ps 29:3; Ps 68:33
- Trumpets: a symbol of God speaking Ex 19:19; Rev 8:6
- The pillar of cloud and fire: a symbol of guidance Ex 13:21
- A throne: a symbol of God’s glory Isa 6:1; Eze 1:26; Rev 4:2; Rev 22:3
- Dry bones: a symbol of spiritual death Eze 37:1-2,11
- White hair: a symbol of wisdom Da 7:9; Rev 1:14
- The wind: a symbol of the Holy Spirit Jn 3:8; Ac 2:2
- Fire: a symbol of the Holy Spirit Ac 2:3
- Stars and lampstands: symbols of God’s ministers Rev 1:20
- A signet ring: a symbol of authority Est 8:10; Hag 2:23
- Arrows: symbols of God’s judgments Ps 38:2; Ps 120:4
- A sceptre: a symbol of God’s rule Ps 2:9; Rev 2:27; Rev 19:15
- The capstone: a symbol of pre-eminence Mt 21:42 pp Mk 12:10-11 pp Lk 20:17; Ps 118:22
- A rock: a symbol of stability Ps 18:2; Ps 40:2
- The human body: a symbol of interdependence 1Co 12:27
- Grass: a symbol of human frailty Ps 90:5-6; 1Pe 1:24
- Symbolic creatures
- The serpent: a symbol of Satan’s subtlety Ge 3:1; Rev 12:9; Rev 20:1-3
- Locusts: a symbol of God’s judgment Ex 10:12; Joel 1:4; Rev 9:3
- Beasts: symbols of earthly kingdoms Da 7:2-7,17; Da 8:20-22
- A dove: a symbol of the Holy Spirit Mt 3:16 pp Mk 1:10 pp Lk 3:22
- A lamb: a symbol of Jesus Christ’s sacrifice Rev 5:6
- Symbolic actions
- Breaking a jar: a symbol of the destruction of Jerusalem Jer 19:10-11
- The cursing of a fig-tree: a symbol of judgment Mt 21:18-19 pp Mk 11:12-14
- Washing hands: a symbol of innocence Mt 27:24
- Being thirsty: a symbol of spiritual need Ps 63:1; Jn 7:37
- Baptism: a symbol of salvation in Jesus Christ Ac 22:16; Ro 6:3-4; 1Pe 3:21
- The Lord’s Supper: a symbol of union with Christ Mt 26:26-29 pp Mk 14:22-24 pp Lk 22:19-20 pp 1Co 11:23-26
- Anointing: a symbol of empowering by God’s Spirit 1Sa 16:13; Lk 4:18; Isa 61:1
- Harvesting: a symbol of judgment day Joel 3:12-13; Mt 13:29-30; Rev 14:15
- Tearing garments: a symbol of anger and sorrow Ge 37:29,34; Jos 7:6
- Spitting: a symbol of contempt Isa 50:6; Mt 26:67 pp Mk 14:65
- Shaking off dust: a symbol of rejection Mt 10:14 pp Lk 9:5; Ac 13:51
- Sitting in sackcloth and ashes: a symbol of repentance Ps 69:11; Isa 22:12; Jnh 3:5-6; Mt 11:21
- Lifting of hands: a symbol of prayer Ps 63:4; 1Ti 2:8
- Covering the head: a symbol of submission 1Co 11:3-10
- Symbols expressing God’s nature and character
- God’s face: a symbol of his presence Nu 6:25-26; Ps 34:16
- God’s arm or hand: a symbol of his power Ps 21:8; Ps 89:13
- God’s eyes: a symbol of his awareness Pr 15:3; 1Pe 3:12
- God’s ear: a symbol of God listening Ps 31:2; Isa 59: