CHAG TU B’SHEVAT SAMEACH!
The Tu B’Shevat Blessings & Prayers:
The blessing recited on fruit is:
Baruch atah A-donoy YAHUVEH, Elo-heinu Melech Ha’Olam borei pri ha-aitz.
Blessed are You, LORD YAHUVEH (a.k.a YAHWEH) our ELOHIM (a.k.a GOD), King of the universe, who creates the fruit of the tree.
• In particular, one should include among the fruits one eats on this day the species of fruit which the land of Israel is praised for: grapes, olives, dates, figs and pomegranates.
If one eats a sufficient amount of fruits of these fruits, one recites the special after blessing Al Ha’aretz ve’al HaPeorot.
• One should make an effort to eat at least one fruit which one has not eaten that entire season, and would require the blessing of Shehecheyanu. When eating such a fruit, the Shehecheyanu should be said prior to reciting the blessing of “Haetz.” If he has already partaken of other fruits (at that particular sitting) than he only needs to say the Shehecheyanu upon eating the new fruit.
The blessing of Shehecheyanu:
Ba-ruch A-tah Ado-nai YAHUVEH E-lo-he-nu Me-lech Ha-olam She-heche-ya-nu Ve-ki-yi-ma-nu Ve-higi-a-nu Liz-man Ha-zeh.
Blessed are You, LORD YAHUVEH our ELOHIM (a.k.a GOD), King of the universe, who has granted us life, sustained us, and enabled us to reach this occasion.
• Many also have a custom of eating carob on this day. There is yet another custom which many have and that is to eat the Etrog, either in the form of preserves, sugared slices, etc.
• It was the custom of the famed Rabbi Isaac Luria(“Arizal“) to eat 15 varieties of fruits on the 15th of Shevat.
• On this day Tachnun is omitted from the Shacharit and Mincha (morning and afternoon) prayers as well as from the Mincha prayer on the afternoon beforehand.
Suggested Menu for Tu B’Shevat
Here is a meatless Tu B’Shevat menu that you can enjoy with your family. Bear in mind that the vegetarian aspect of this menu is purely my personal preference. You could certainly serve a meat meal on the holiday, but to keep it kosher don’t mix any of the dairy dishes here with a meat entrée.
Video: “Tu B”Shevat Sedar/Order”
(By Prophet Ezra of YAH’S Amightywind Ministry)