TORAH PORTION No. 14:
“Va’Era – I appeared — וארא”
- TORAH (First Five books of the Holy Biblical Scriptures/Five Books of Moses)
Exodus 6:2 – 9:35
- HAF-TORAH ( usually PROPHETS or WRITINGS) – Prophets
Ezekiel 28:25 – 29:21
- BRIT CHADASHAH (NEW COVENANT/TESTAMENT) – Gospels
Note: The regular readings above are often interrupted with special readings on Jewish holidays, special Sabbaths, and Rosh Chodesh. Refer to the annual Torah Portion schedule for these special portions.
The second reading from the book of Exodus and fourteenth reading from the TORAH is named Va’era (וארא), which means “And I appeared.” The title comes from the first words of the second verse of the reading, which says, “And I appeared to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, as God Almighty” (Exodus 6:3).
The portion begins with four expressions of redemption whereby YAH almighty promises to bring Israel out of the Egyptian bondage. The narrative progresses to tell the story of the first seven of the ten plagues that YAH unleashed on Egypt.
- Exodus 6:14 | The Genealogy of Moses and Aaron
- Exodus 6:28 | Moses and Aaron Obey God’s Commands
- Exodus 7:8 | Aaron’s Miraculous Rod
- Exodus 7:14 The First Plague: | Water Turned to Blood
- Exodus 8:1 The Second Plague: | Frogs
- Exodus 8:16 The Third Plague: | Gnats
- Exodus 8:20 The Fourth Plague: | Flies
- Exodus 9:1 The Fifth Plague: | Livestock Diseased
- Exodus 9:8 The Sixth Plague: | Boils
- Exodus 9:13 The Seventh Plague: | Thunder and Hail
- Eze 28:25 | Future Blessing for Israel
- Eze 29:1 | Proclamation against Egypt
- Eze 29:17 | Babylonia Will Plunder Egypt
Video: Torah for Children – Parashat Va’eira – Torah for kids – Bible for kids – Exodus 2