Tazria/She will conceive — תזריע
- HAFTARAH/HAFTORAH (includes PROPHETS and WRITINGS) – Prophets:
2 KINGS 4:42-5:19
- BRIT CHADASHAH (a.k.a New Covenant/Testament) – GOSPEL:
Note: The regular readings above are often interrupted with special readings on Jewish holidays, special Sabbaths, and Rosh Chodesh. Refer to the annual Torah Portion schedule for these special portions.
The name of the twenty-seventh reading from the Torah is Tazria (תזריע), which means “she conceived.” The name is derived from the words of Leviticus 12:2, where the LORD says to Moses, “When a woman [conceives] and bears a male child.” Leviticus 12 discusses the laws of purification after childbirth. Leviticus 13 introduces the laws for diagnosing and quarantining lepers. Except in biblical calendar leap years, Tazria is read together with the subsequent Torah portion, Metzora, on the same Sabbath.
- Leviticus 12:1 | Purification of Women after Childbirth
- Leviticus 13:1 | Leprosy, Varieties and Symptoms
- 2Ki 4:42 | Elisha Feeds One Hundred Men
- 2Ki 5:1 | The Healing of Naaman